Back pain is a very common problem today and sciatica is one of the most frequent causes of it. This painful condition is not a diagnosis itself, but a symptom of a bigger problem. Whatever its cause, Sciatica sufferers need relief from this often oppressive condition. Painkillers, surgery, and physical therapy are common ways to find relief and many patients also find massage therapy beneficial. At Pure Harmony Clinic we offer a variety of massage options to relieve your pain.
What is Sciatica?
Despite the fact that Sciatica is a common condition, many people don’t really understand what it is. Sciatica is a painful condition that shows in the following symptoms:
- Constant pain on one side of the buttock or leg, which is often worsened by sitting.
- Burning, tingling or searing leg pain. This pain often radiates down the leg and into the foot.
- Difficulty moving the leg, weakness, or numbness of the affected leg.
- A sharp pain that makes walking difficult.
- Pain associated with sciatica can range from infrequent to constant. It can be incapacitating, making pain all too common for those affected by it.
Sciatica is caused by irritation or compression of the sciatic nerve, the largest nerve in the body. It runs from the lower back, through the buttock and down the back of each leg. The symptoms experienced by an individual depend on where along the nerve the irritation or compression is occurring. Though sciatica is caused by irritation or compression of the nerve, it is not typically caused by a particular event, but rather it usually develops over time. Most cases are diagnosed in middle age, with over 40's being the age range most frequently diagnosed.
Massage Therapy Offers Pain Relief for Sciatica
There are many treatment options available for those suffering from sciatica. One that is sometimes overlooked is massage therapy. Massage therapy helps relieve sciatica pain in two key ways:
- It causes the body to release endorphins, the body’s natural pain relief. Massage also releases other compounds which make the recipient feel good.
- A bonus of massage therapy is that it has no side effects. Some other conventional forms of treatment, such as pain relieving medications or injections, have side effects associated with their use. As a result of this lack of side effects, massage therapy can be used more frequently than some types of conventional treatment.
Many doctors also recommend that sciatica patients follow an exercise program to reduce both their pain and the frequency of recurrences. Most of these exercise programs include a variety of exercises, but they typically focus on improving core muscle strength and specific exercises chosen to address the patient’s diagnosis. Cardio conditioning, such as walking, is also usually encouraged to improve general fitness. However, before beginning any exercise program, patients should consult a physiotherapist to ensure that the plan they have in mind is safe for the condition they have.
Massage for Pain Relief
If sciatica is interfering with your daily life, let one of our skilled therapists ease your pain. A variety of services are available, from relaxing massage or hot stone therapy, to deep tissue massage and others. Even if you simply need to relax after a stressful day, massage is a great way to pamper yourself. Book an appointment today by calling Pure Harmony Clinic reception.